11.9.12

Butoh and Odissi dance events in Brisbane

Hi folks,

There are some special dance events going on in Brisbane in the next month. Yuki is giving weekly butoh dance sessions at our home in Oxley on Thursday evenings in September. For those of you with an image of butoh as an ugly, fearsome dance, please bear in mind that butoh expresses both "light" and "dark". Yuki comes from the "light" side of the butoh tradition as exemplified by Kazuo Ohno, and we would describe these workshops as "sublime dance expression".

Coming up in early October is the first performance at the new QLD Multicultural Centre in Kangaroo Point, entitled "Intensely Soul - Transformational Odissi Dance". Odissi dance is my favourite form of Indian classical dance, very beautiful and feminine, so I highly recommend this concert and the workshop the following morning. I'm attaching the event flier to this email. (Please email me to join my email list.)



This weekend my tabla students and I will be performing at the Gold Coast Multicultural Festival from 1130am, before Tenzin and I head down to Mullumbimby for a small concert there. (Contact Tenzin for details on that one)

I've finally caught up on the last few months' blogging, with posts on our 5th annual tabla school concert, some Tibet2Timbuk2 shows, and the recently completed Masters of Sarangi tour.



SHEN'S GIGS - THIS WEEK
FRIENDS' NEWS - THIS WEEK
SHEN'S NEWS - COMING UP
FRIENDS' NEWS - COMING UP
SHEN'S RECENT BLOGS
If the links above don't work please go direct to the EthnoSuperLounge Events page: http://ethnosuperlounge.com/news/events.htm, and also my personal blogs http://shenflindell.blogspot.com/ and http://shenweb.blogspot.com/

No comments: